By Ian Zerve
If you’re visiting San Diego and want to branch out from popular tourist areas like the Gaslamp, head up to Hillcrest, which abuts Balboa Park on the northwest. It’s a delightfully walkable neighborhood packed with cafés, shops and cute Craftsman cottages.
- The Wiggly Bridge. Not afraid of heights? Brave the Spruce Street Suspension Bridge, a wobbly span over a lovely canyon. A fun secret, and one of the best photo ops in San Diego!
- Urban Mo’s Bar & Grill. Since Hillcrest is the most tolerant and inclusive San Diego neighborhood, you can’t overlook this LGBT-friendly bar. People of any orientation will enjoy the colorful decor, open-air seating and bottomless mimosas for brunch.
- Bronx Pizza. Even visiting NYCers praise this joint’s authentic slices and great deals.
- Hillcrest Food Walking Tour. Stroll in the sunshine, sample the local eats and learn all about the neighborhood from a friendly guide.
- Filter. With an eclectic hodgepodge of furniture (and clientele to match), the atmosphere takes center stage at this coffeehouse.
- Hillcrest Brewing Company. They’ve squeezed as much innuendo into their menu as possible, and the flavor of the beer measures up to the sassy attitude. Fill up a growler and take it home!